Thursday, June 15, 2006

Van Morrison at Hampton Court Palace

Well here we go again. I am going to shoot the grumpiest genius around. Van the man.. He really seems to be a grumpy sod. I photographed him a few times last year and when I was looking through the lens, occasionaly I could see him growling at the camera.. Maybe I am imagining it.. Anyway, it was a lovely day here in London. Sunny and warm.. I must say, it is quite exciting as summer is almost here.. I arrived at Hampton Court Palace and parked up, got my camera gear out and headed off to meet up with the PR girls handling the event. I had to hurry a bit as Van was coming on in a few mins.. I got inside the venue, which is an open air setup and got ready. Within not time at all, Van was on stage..
Copyright 2006 Danny Clifford
I got on with it and proceeded to get some rather nice shots.. During one of the songs I moved from one side of the stage to the other.. So, I was now shooting from about 40ft from Van Morrison to one side.
Copyright 2006 Danny Clifford
I then, after a few mins realised that my trousers seemed to be bearing a little to much of my behind. So, whilst shooting I put my hand around my back and pulled my trousers up.. To my suprise, I then got a loud round of appluase.. I had obviously been exposing myself somewhat.. I turned around to see what was going on and yes, it was me they were applauding.. This was all very funny.. Especially as it was in such a small intimate venue.. Van Moriison heard the applause and laughing and I think I may have even blushed a little as he glared at me one more time..
Copyright 2006 Danny Clifford
So, if you are reading this Van, sorry. Next time I will wear a longer tee shirt and better fitting trousers, honest..