Saturday, June 03, 2006

Monsters of Rock - Milton Keynes UK

Today was a the Monsters of Rock Concert at Milton Keynes in the UK. I had a lot to do before I drove up there. I managed toget on the road at about 12pm. As soon as I did hit the road I hit heavy traffic. This is becoming more and more common. Anyway, I got to Milton Keynes Bowl at about 2pm. I made my way backstage to meet up with Ted Nugent. I was hanging around backstage for quite a while. I then headed over to the VIP press area where I bumped into a few other music photographers. It was a really lovely day, very sunny. The first band that I shot was Journey. I shot them about 20 years ago in USA. Mind you, I did photograph Neal Schon in Dallas a couple of years ago. He turned up at the Crossroads Guitar Festival , which was also the start of Eric Clapton's US tour.
Copyright 2006 Danny Clifford
We did a quick backstage shoot. Following Journey was a real Legend, Alice Cooper. He is such a professional, I have been photographing him for over 26 years now. In fact, I was quite close with him back in the early 80's. I remember being at his house one day in LA. It was of Benedict canyon, Telephone Road from memory. His next door neighbor's were Elton John to his right and Groucho Marx of the Marx Brothers.
Copyright 2006 Danny Clifford
He had a wonderful house and during that day when I was signing my name in a telephone box in his house that all guests signed. When he hit me over the head with a glass bottle. I was so shocked, until I realised that it was sugar soap used in theatres.. He thought it was very funny. Met a few of his snakes and had a nice lunch..
Copyright 2006 Danny Clifford
Anyway, back at Milton Keynes, I do drift off down memory lane sometimes. Although this was a daylight performance, the lighting was rather nice. He is so theatrical that it helps make great photos. After Alice was headliners, Deep Purple...
Copyright 2006 Danny Clifford

When I was at school there didn't seem like many bands bigger than them. True legends.. I also got some nice colourful shots of them.
Copyright 2006 Danny Clifford
I only shot the first 3 songs then buggered off straight backstage where my car was parked and got out of there well before the end of the concert and headed back down to London. All in all a nice day in the sun without any aggravation.....