Sunday, November 20, 2005

Oasis photo shoot in Tokyo

Went over to the hotel where Oasis were staying. Sean Brophy came with me to assist. We had a wander around the Hotel for a while having a look for possible locations for the shoot. It took us about an hour and many trips up and down the elevators, there were a few. Up to the 45th floor then down again. Up again then down... you get the picture.
Copyright 2005 Danny Clifford
Then we met up with the band and all. Said hello and it was all systems go.
Copyright 2005 Danny Clifford
There was no time for dithering. We were in a real rush. The band were under real pressure to do more interviews straight after this exclusive shoot.
Copyright 2005 Danny Clifford
It was really nice to work with them. They were totally professional and thoroughly nice guys, all of them. Noel, Liam, Andy and Gem.
I think that the shoot lasted in total about 7 mins. This is no exaggeration. We were really moving on this shoot.
Copyright 2005 Danny Clifford
Whilst I was doing the shoot we were being filmed by a video crew. They were shooting for the band. Maybe its for a DVD, who knows. I didn't have much time to ask.
After the shoot we said a quick goodbye, then the band rushed off with their PR man from the record label and that was that. Sean and I then headed off to meet up with Rob (who works at The Hobgoblin). Sean and Rob were going off to watch motley Crue who were playing at Saitama, just about 30 mins out of Tokyo. I was going off to shoot the Oasis show at Yoyogi Gym.. I haven't been to this venue before. I must admit it sounded like a smallish venue. Well I said goody bye to Sean and Rob and jumped in a taxi. Sean had written in Japanese, the address of the venue for me. All I had to do was hand it to the taxi driver and bob's your uncle... Well actually no that wasn't how it worked.. I gave it to the taxi driver and off we went. He insisted in chatting to me in Japanese. I had explained that I didn't speak Japanese. Anyway I just had the feeling that we were heading the wrong way. We should have been heading fro Harajuka. But we weren't. Suddenly, we stopped. The taxi driver then just jumped out of the taxi and ran away... Very odd I thought. I called Sean and asked it this is a Japanese tradition. Anyway, he was running around and looking at buildings, trying to find the Yoyogi Gym.. What a tosser... I handed the phone to him. Sean then explained in fluent Japanese to the driver where I was supposed be going.. So, off we went again..
Copyright 2005 Danny Clifford
Then we arrived at Harajuka and Yoyogi Gym. It was bloody enormous. In I went and shot the first part of the show. I then watched the rest of the show.
Copyright 2005 Danny Clifford
They are fantsastic.. I love Oasis.. After the show I headed back to Shibuya and got a bite to eat.. Then started to edit up the shots.. and eventually went to bed.