Saturday, June 17, 2006

The Who Live at Leeds



This is to be one for me to remember. Not only is it a very special event, but I am shooting this show exclusivly for The Who. I travelled up from London to Leeds, West Yorkshire quite early. I needed to be at the University of Leeds by about 3:30pm.
Copyright 2006 Danny Clifford
But first I needed to check into my hotel and get rid of some gear that I will need tomorrow, but wont be using today.. Cant leave photographic gear in the car. It brings back horrible memories or me pulling up outside The Who's office in about 1977. I had an office in their offices in Wardour Street, London. I didnt have my own car at the time and borrowed my mums for a day or so. Anyway, pulled up and ran into the office for no more than 30 seconds. When I ran back to the car, I jumped in and wondered why the passenger door was slightly open. I sat there and thought this is od. Then felt under the seat only to find that my camera bag had been stolen. It was such a shock.. I had two Nikon's and assorted lenses etc. Guess what? I wasnt insured.. What an idiot. I had to go grovelling to my bank and ask for help.. Which they did.. Ever since then, I never leave gear in a car..
Copyright 2006 Danny Clifford
Well, now that that little memory is out of the way, we can move back to 2006 and Leeds. So, checked into my hotel and headed straight off to the University.
Copyright 2006 Danny Clifford
When I arrived I was met by the press officers from the University. Whilst I was talking to them, in walked the one and only Paul Crockford. He manages many people including Mark Knopfler. Paul and I went up to production to get my pass. I was the only photographer allowed to shoot the show.
Copyright 2006 Danny Clifford
They were being very strict about this.. Very soon after getting my passes etc there was to be a Blue Plaque unveiling outside the University. This was to commemorate The Who's recording of Live at Leeds in this very building 36 years before in February 1970. I was too young to remeber this, but when I was growing up I remember all of my friends raving about 'Live at Leeds' Apparently, the best ever live album of any band. So, along came DJ Andy Kershaw, who was once social secretary at the University and Roger Daltrey and Pete Townshend. They made a very short speech and unveiled, as you do! That didnt last too long. There were TV crews from all over the world covering this..
Copyright 2006 Danny Clifford
After this, I headed back into the University where the band were doing a quick sound check.. The we were off for a break..
Copyright 2006 Danny Clifford
At 8:30 approx the show began. On they came with Zak Starkey, Pino Palladino, Simon Townshend, John "Rabbit" Bundrick and opened up into 'Who Are You'.
Copyright 2006 Danny Clifford
I have to say, I have seen The Who so many times now, but still get very excited when I am there..
Copyright 2006 Danny Clifford

The are without doubt one of if not The greatest band in the world. The atmosphere was electric, almost like there was history being made again somehow.
Copyright 2006 Danny Clifford
It was a hot night anyway, but inside it felt like it was 120 degrees... Pete said at one point "we need to go outside to cool down, this is heart attack material". He wasnt wrong. So, the show ended with Wont Get Fooled Again..
Copyright 2006 Danny Clifford
What a show, what a band....