Sunday, August 06, 2006

Jerry Lee Lewis - I kid you not

Well, this is quite bizzare.... Jerry Lee Lewis, ' yes, The Killer' himself is performing in this very small village called Clapham in Bedford. I almost had to pinch myself.. It's a bit like Elvis, if he was here today, pulling up and playing a village gig.. This is a bit unreal, but, it's true.. When I arrived I went backstage and had a chat with John Cooper Clarke. He was still on top form and just like yesterday, very funny.. Chas & Dave arrived backstage and got themselves together and ready for their performance, supporting the, as yet absent, Jerry Lee... Chas & Dave posed for a few photos and then were introduced by John Cooper Clarke and on they went. They did all of there usual fab hits, Rabbit Rabbit etc etc.. If yo know them, you will know what I mean. So after awhile, Jerry Lee's band arrived. They were all rocking on, age wise that is.. They must have all been in their late 60's or even in their 70's... About 30 mins later, the man himself arrived.. He was surrounded buy security and slowly walked towards his dressing room. Once he was inside, nobody was allowed near him.. He was resting... It was arranged that I was going to be doing a shoot with him a few mins before he went on stage.. This proved to be very difficult. There were so many big guys around him, so when he did get to me , that they were all really in the way. I did move them, but it wasnt ideal at all.. We are going to re do this shoot later in the week.. By now other celebes had arrived and were all looking forward to seeing Jerry Lee Lewis perform.. Peter Doherty and Kate Moss turned up, so did Shane McGowan and Victoria his girlfriend.. They all managed to get up on side of the stage and all danced along to Great Balls of Fire and Chantilly Lace etc etc..
Jerry Lee Lewis
Copyright 2006 Danny Clifford

I did take some shots on stage, but as jerry was sitting at the piano, I decied to get down in front of him in the photo pit. That was a better position.. The show ended with Jerry kicking away his piano stool. Then he walked slowly off stage.. The band still carried on playing. Jerry then made a swift, well, as swift as he could exit.. The crowd thought he was coming back on for an encore, but he did in fact get straight into his waiting car and sped off straight out of there... Peter, Kate, Shane Victoria and Gerry O'Boyle all came out off the stage and then saw that Jerry had gone, so they also made there way out of there. Before they did leave, I was chatting to Gerry O'Boyle and Shane. I saw that Shane had a great big blue flask with him. No doubt full of Gin.. We did a quick photo of him with it. I must say this was all quite surreal. I made may way out of there and then sent my photos out later that night..