Sunday, July 30, 2006

Fuji Rock Day 3

So, after my 3 hours sleep we rushed back up to Fuji Rock. This was going to be a very, very busy day. We were in a bit of a rush as I wanted to catch the hot new band from the UK, Mumm-Ra. They were playing at the Red Marquee. This was the first stage that one comes to on the way into the site.. I was very impressed with them, they are well worth watching out for. They are going be big... I shot them live and did a quick shoot backstage with them as well. Nest off to the Green stage to catch KT Tunstall.. Shot her live show then went backstage and did a quick shoot with her. Whilst I was doing the shoot, the next band arrived backstage, it was Snow Patrol. I did some photos of Snow Patrol’s Gary Lightbody and then I realized that he had never met KT Tunstall, so, we all introduced each other and did a quick shot of the two of them together. I then shot the Snow Patrol show from the front of the stage, then did a few shots from the stage. I then had to rush off to another stage to meet up with the band Orson. They seem to be getting quite a lot of airplay in the UK at the moment. I had a nice brief chat with them backstage as I did a shoot. They had only come out to Japan for 24 hours. They were on tour with Robbie Williams in Germany and they were flying straight back to Germany to carry on with that tour. Next I was off to another stage to shoot The Raconteurs, Jack White and the gang… I was backstage and was in the vicinity of Jack White. He looked over at me, saw all of my cameras and literally, ran away.. I looked down at my cameras and thought maybe I was carrying a gun.. It was very, very odd.. Anyway, the Strokes all arrived backstage and there was a kind of get together of Raconteurs and Strokes.. Lots of hugging and back slapping. Very sweet !! So, I shot the Raconteurs then straight after that the Strokes. Both of these bands recently in the UK. I think, Hyde Park, London. I am not sure.. So, this doesn’t sound like an awful lot of bands, but again, loads of running around and all without a decent nights sleep since I left London.. So, once the Stokes were over, I met up with Sean, Rob and Mike who were traveling with us. We, were going to head straight up to Nagano. This was about 2-3 hours drive from Mount Naeba (Fuji Rock). We had hoped to be there by about 3am.. We did get there about 3:30am. The place we were heading for is Sean’s farm house that he and a few friends have. Although he lives near Tokyo, they have this place in Nagano as it’s up in the mountains in snow territory. They all go there in the winter for snow boarding.. Anyway, we got there and put our little futons on the floor and hit the deck.. Boy do I miss a western bed (mattress etc). I am not used to sleeping on Japanese beds..