Saturday, August 05, 2006

Geno Washington and The Rhythm Festival

This was a funny little festival, In many ways, really relaxed and nice.. I missed the first day as I was still flying back from Japan. Anyway, I arrived at the first ever Rhythm Festival in the village of Clapham in Bedford and Roger Chapman was on stage. I looked up and my mate Geoff Whitehorn was playing guitar. I went backstage and met up with him afterwards. Also backstage was the legendary John Cooper Clarke. What a funny man he is.. A real joy to be around.. Also. DJ Mike Reed.. I didn’t know this, but he is a bit of a song writer and had had records recorded by BIG artists.. Well, there you go eh!! Roy Harper was there as well. The last time I photographed him was almost the start of my career. It was a very hot Saturday afternoon in London's Hyde Park. It was 1975 I was about 5 then. I was on stage taking photos of Roy Harper, John Paul Jones (Led Zeppelin) Dave Gilmour (Pink Floyd) and many others. Roy and I were reminiscing and he remembered it all very well.. So, there I was 31 years later, taking photos on stage again on a hot day in the summer. Later the headline, Geno Washington. I met up with him and his wife management team. very nice people.. Got some very nice shots of him as well. I finished with Geno and headed off home. I need some sleep as I am coming back tomorrow.