Saturday, July 02, 2005

LIVE 8 London

I was one of about 45 photographers allowed to shoot this, the main event in London. There were photographers from some of the leading publications worldwide. I was Shooting Live 8 for Rolling Stone Magazine. So, thank you to them for that.
Sir Paul McCartney
Copyright 2005 Danny Clifford
What a day.... I made my way to Jon, number one assistant's house.. He then ran me down to Hyde Park, London.. The only trouble was that the roads were all being closed. It was 11 am in the morning.. We decided it would be best for me to jump out Marble Arch, the other end of Hyde Park.. Traffic wasn't moving and time was moving on.. So, out I jumped and grabbed all two hundred camera bags.. I had packed for a long and eventful day. I walked at great speed through crowds of thousands of people (who were all traveling the opposite way to me) to Hyde Park Corner. I then headed on into the park itself, through the first of many barriers of security. I eventually reached the press and guest entrance. All of my bags were searched and in I went. I headed for the media tent. It was quite a site.. Media from arounf the world all checking their internet connections for wireing there images and reports.. Very soon after arriving we had a briefing then were were led out to the front of stage for the main event.. In no time at all the show began..
It all happened so fast that right now I cant even remember who I photographed.. Some of the people who appeared were Madona, U2, Elton John, Paul McCartney, Coldplay, George Michael, Sting, The Sterophonics, Joss Stone, R.E.M. Razorlight, Keane, Annie Lennox, Mariah Carey, The Who & The amazing Pink Floyd, who were finally back together. This was the first time they had all performed together since, I think about 1981..
Roger Waters
Copyright 2005 Danny Clifford
Dave Gilmore
Copyright 2005
Danny Clifford
Madona
Copyright 2005
Danny Clifford
There were many more artists performing but rught now I cant remember who. I am too tired to think. I stayed in the photo pit right in front of the stage from luchtime until about 11.45 pm .. What a long day.. Even though it was very hard work.. heavy cameras hanging round my neck all day and standing for such a lomg time.. I am not going to moan.. It was quuite an amazing event.. One, I am sure i will remember for the rest of my life.. I supose I am a very lucky boy doing this for a living.. I do realise that fact..
I did finally get home at about 4am. I was very very sore and was glad to fall with a thump into my bed..