Monday, December 19, 2005

Ocean Colour Scene

I had a front page photo on London's Evening Standard newspaper plus another photo inside the paper of Dave Grohl of Foo Fighters. I also had a nice photo, again of Dave Grohl in The Times newspaper in the UK as well.. So, that was nice...
Later in the day I headed off to see one of the greatest bands of the last 10 years or so, Ocean Colour Scene. I really love them. If you havent heard them, then get out there and buy some of their CD's. I think one of my fav CD's is North Atlantic Drift. Mind you, they are all brilliant. They are also fantastic musicians. Guitarist, Steve Cradock, is quite amazing. When he is not touring with Ocean Colour Scene, he is usually with Paul Weller. His style of guitar playing is very different from the rest. He is amazing.. Anyway, there I was at Shepherds Bush Empire in west London. The crowd were being entertained, not by a support act, but a DJ. He was playing some great old songs I seemed to know them all. I wasnt alone, the crowd seemed to like them as well. Mind you there was one very impatient bugger who kept shouting get off.. He was drunk and calling for the band to hurry up and get on. Finally at about 9pm they came on... The crowd went mad.. That one drunk punter still shouted get on with it at any opertunity he had. He also, shouted for them to play some Rock n Roll.. That isnt what they are known for though. He was a bit odd.
Copyright 2005 Danny Clifford
The lighting was quite low to start with. Mind you we were allowed to shoot the first 9 songs. Now that is more like it. After about 5 or six of the songs the lighting got much better.
Copyright 2005 Danny Clifford
In fact it was really nice. So, all in all I got some great shots. Well I thought so anyway. A funny thing happened in between one of the songs. Simon Fowler, vocalist and main writer in the band. Looked at me in the photo pit and said I know you and asked me if my name was Tom.. Obviously me not having a microphone I could really explain that my name was Danny. Simon does know me, we have met on many occasions.. I think he must have just recognised me and not quite figured out where.. Who knows eh !!