Sunday, October 16, 2005

50 Cent at Wembley

Wembley arena is being completely rebuilt at the moment. This is not to be confused with the new Wembley Stadium, which is also being built next door to the Arena. Anyway, this is all boring as most people are fully aware of all of this. So, whilst the Arena is being renewed, a massive tent has been erected for concerts in the meantime. I have to say, that it is rather odd. I have been there many times now to shoot various artist's, but despite the fact that it is brand new and smart, I really don't like it there. Mind you, I don't suppose the organizers care if I like it or not. So, there I was at the Wembley pavilion (the tent) waiting at the mixing desk about half way back in the stadium to shoot 50 Cent.. I did take a long lens as I thought that we would be a long way from the stage and we were. We waited for quite a while for the show to start. I found out afterwards that the show was delayed because someone had stolen 50 Cents massive platinum & diamond crucifix that he wears round his neck. He had taken a shower just before the show and a local Wembley security guard had taken it away to look after it.. You see the staff at Wmbley are so caring considerate and honest. I am sure that the security guard in question saw the $35000 cross and thought, I had better remove that from the safe dressing room and look after it for Fiddy.. ummm, good old honest security at Wembley... Welcome to London Mr Cent.. It was handed back to 50 cent when the whole of the backstage area was shut down and nobody was allowed in or out until it was found. That is when the caring security guard handed it back to him and said it was being cared for by him or her.
Copyright 2005 Danny Clifford
Then the show began all a bit late.. Oh, I was so excited!! I had my earplugs in and they were in fact so far in that they were touching in the middle of my head.. I tried to get a few more in, but ran out of room & earplugs.. As soon as he got on stage, the crowd all seemed to stand up on their seats.. They then waved their hands above their heads. The cheeky buggers. They had no consideration for us photographers who were about 4 miles away from the stage trying to get shots. So, I did what I could and escaped after about 15 mins.. I am so relieved that Fiddy got his cross back.. Thank the Lord...