Saturday, June 28, 2008

Glastonbury Music Festival

I arrived a day late, due to the fact that I had to shoot Nelson Mandela's 90th Birthday Celebration concert in Hyde Park last night. So, arrived down at Worthy Farm mid morning. Guess what!! NO MUD, Brilliant, I dont need my wellies. Just keep my Timberland's on. There were plenty of acts plying today, but Amy Winehouse was performing on the main Pyramid Stage just before Jay Z. Just after I arrived I bumped into Amanda Ghost and her other half Gregor. Both are really nice people. Amanda is the talented girl who wrote amongst others "Your Beautiful" for James Blunt and another song for Beyonce and Shakira which went to number one around the world as well. She is a clever girl. Amanda told me that Beyonce was arriving later and we would then try and get a shot of the two of them together backstage. So, we tried, but it just didn't work out time wise. I was in one place and Amanda and Beyonce seemed to be in another etc etc.. Oh well next time eh!! Kelly Osborne was also backstage sporting a nice Orange wig. Very fetching, don't you know..

I stopped and had a chat with Howard Marks or Mr Nice as he has been know throughout his career. He had his daughter Golly and his son Patrick with him. Patrick was at College with my son Jonathan, they both went to MPW in Kensington. Anyway, I think Howard had been smoking himself into a frazzle, he just seemed to be laughing at everything.. Mind you he does do that most of the time. Anyway, moving on, Wayne Star (photographer and all round great chap) pointed out to me that Lily Cole was sitting near us. So, I took that opportunity of having a word with her and taking a couple of photos.



















Copyright 2008 Danny Clifford

Amy went and caused a bit of a stir when she allegedly punched a fan in the crowd. I wasn't there, so, I didn't see anything. But, there was some video shot of this and it does look rather like she did have a go at a fan. She had got down off the stage and went to the front of the crowd to sing Rehab, when suddenly she laid into someone. Oh well, nothing that rehab wouldn't cure I suppose. I was back in the press tent all of this time. Then when Amy left the stage she was taken by helicopter straight back to London to go back into the Clinic. She needs a bit of help. I really hope that she gets well. I honestly think she is such a talent and a really nice girl. I don't mean to sound patronising, but, I do feel so sorry for her mum and dad. Mitch her dad I have met a few times and it must be absolutely awful seeing one of your kids going through this.

So, after Amy was the one and only Jay-Z. This was an interesting one for Glastonbury. Now, where do I begin. Noel Gallagher of Oasis was quoted as saying "fucking Jay-Z at Glastonbury? No way, its for guitar bands" Or at least something like that he said. So, what did Jay-Z do when he came on !! He ran a film behind on the big screen which was very entertaining about everyone around the world loving Jay-Z. Including all of the world leaders.. Then on he came on and performed Wonderwall by Oasis. It was a very funny moment.














copyright 2008 Danny Clifford
Well done Jay-Z. He must of won over quite a few people with that little bit of comedy.. Jay -Z was very impressive and really talented. I only shot the first three songs, so, didmt get to see the whole show. But by all accounts he was brilliant. Mind you, I still love Oasis..