Saturday, June 02, 2007

On tour with The Zimmers - Los Angeles

I think they are officially the oldest rock band in the world, The Zimmers, that is. I met up with Winifred, Alf, Norma, Tim Samuels, Simon Brown, and Neil Reed at 7:30 am at Terminal 3, Hearthwow airport. There were also, two ladies, one a flight nurse and the other a helper for Winifred, who is 99 coming on the flight with us. We were then met by United Airlines, Carlos, who looked after us so well. So, here is a big thank you to Carlos from all of us. We were all checked in then taken to the Red Carpet lounge. Where we did some shots and filmed a bit. In fact most of this is being filmed by the BBC. We were eventually notified that the flight was ready to board. Winifred, Alf and Norma were taken up to the gate by motorized car, which was nice for them. I need the walk... So, off we went, we boarded the plane and this too was filmed. The passengers were all wondering what was going on as we walked on board. It didn't take too long before the crew announced who we all were and then added that they may be interested to know that we were all heading out to the US to go on the Jay Leno show. This is happening on Tuesday. During the flight, I was chatting to Winifred, who was reminding me of the last time sh flew. It was over 80 years ago in a bi-plane, a Sopwith. She was in one of the two seats and it didn't have a roof she said. She also told me that the pilot, a friend of hers, who was in the RAF, crashed about two weeks later into the North Sea on his way to Norway. She said it was so sad, he also had his little do with him on the plane, he took it everywhere.. Anyway, Winifred, was loving the Boeing 777, slightly different from a convertible Sopwith. We arrived in Los Angeles and again the United staff were fantastic. We were taken straight down to the immigration hall and then through the airport and outside. This again was all filmed. Then a nice big Limo arrived to take everyone to the hotel. My mum n dad were there to collect me. I wasn't going to the hotel. I wanted to go back home, have a shower, then jump in the car and then meet them at their hotel. So, we said our goodbyes and off I went with mum and dad. On our way back out to Thousand Oaks, we stopped so I could by some clothes for a shoot with The Zimmers tomorrow. I got back to the house, had a shower, jumped in my car and headed down to Universal City to meet up with everyone. I then got a call from Tim, who said they were all a bit hungry, So, I suggested that we all went to Jerry Deli, right near them on Ventura Boulevard. So, that is what we did. The food arrived and it was great to see their faces as the normal US portions of food arrived. They seemed to be loving it. Afterwards we dropped the Zimmers back at the hotel, we then rushed out and got them some bits for there rooms and I then headed off home, for some bloody sleep at last.