Wednesday, September 20, 2006

MOBO Awards London

Today are the Mobo awards in London. One of the nicest and most talented soul singers ever and a great friend of mine, Sam Moore, is getting the first life time achievement award. For those who are too young to remember, Sam was half of Sam & Dave. They had massive hits with many songs in the 60's (actually before my time as well). Songs like 'Soul Man', later used in the Blues Brothers movie and 'Hold on I'm Comin'. Sam and hi wife (da manager) Joyce flew in to London on Monday. Joyce had called me last week and told me that he was getting the award and asked me to shoot the show for them. So, I got to the Royal Albert Hall at about 3:15 and eventually got through the heightened security and made into the dressing rooms. It wasn't long before we went out and Sam and Keisha White (who is FANTASTIC) did there full dress rehearsal. They did a duet of 'I cant stand the Rain'. They both sounded amazing..
Sam Moore
Copyright 2006 Danny Clifford













That is also the first track on Sam's brand new album out now on Rhino Records, part of Warners Brothers.. Later when the real event was under way, Sam was presented with the award by Stevie Winwood, who also recorded a track called 'Aint no Love' with Sam on Sam's album. Which is called 'Overnight Sensational'.. After the award was given to Sam, he performed with Keisha White and then did 'Soul Man' on his own with the band. It was utterly brilliant. After the show, it was of to Mr Chows in Knightsbridge with Joyce Sam and Steve Winwood and his wonderful wife. When I arrived I saw Darren Lyons on the table next to us. He had a big bright red mohican haircut.. One could hardly miss him. Darren is the owner of Big Pictures.. One of the largest and most active Papparazzi photo agencies in the world.. It did think about getting out the cameras and Papping him at the table, just for a laugh. I would have wondered if he would have seen the funny side of that.. Mind you I would have cared much if he hadn't.. Still, that is academic, because, I didn't do it.. ..Should have done though..