Thursday, September 14, 2006

Greedy Robbie Williams at Milton Keynes

So, there I was on my way to Milton Keynes and it is only mid afternoon. I thought it would be best to get up there early. He was due on stage at 8:30, but there may be big crowds, so, thought I would make and early start. I arrived there at about 5pm. I found somewhere to park not too far from the gate where my photo pass was to be handed to me. So, I made my way slowly to the gate. When I got there I had quite a long wait until Robbies PR company turned up and gave me my pass. So, there I was waiting under a tree (as it looked like it could rain). Then at about 7:30 they showed up and then handed me a contract to sign. I read the contract and then rubbed my eyes and read it again.. It said that Robbie Williams was giving me the opportunity to photograph his show, but, wait for it, he would own the copyright of all of my images.. I couldn't even have the right to display the photos on my website of in my portfolio, as Robbie Williams would own the photos. He would also have the right to sell on my images to whoever he wanted to. So, I explained this to the PR company and asked them to remove that paragraph in the contract. They said they couldn't remove it. I then said well, I am not signing it, so, good bye and off I went. I have been shooting in the music industry since 1888 and never have I given away my copyright. I am not about to do it now. I think that if the very greedy Robbie Williams actually thought about the ramifications here, he would realize that this is a big mistake. In my opinion, any reputable music photographers wouldnt sign the contract and therefore wouldn't shoot the show. So, that would leave the less well know photographers to shoot him if they wanted.. But they wouldn't own the photos. So, the result would be, that there wouldn't be the normally plentiful great photos of Robbie out there for magazines and newspapers to use. So, no doubt the quality will slip, therefore, good old Robbie wont look as good... If that contract stays in place I will not be photographing Robbie ever again.. I would advise any photographers going to photograph him at any venues, don't sign away your copyright.. It is utter madness.. Rant over !!

Oh Robbie if you are reading this, here are a couple of photos of you that I took at various events, Live 8, MTV Awards, Lisbon, Portugal etc. Now, look but dont touch, I own the copyright, not you..
Robbie Williams at Live 8, London
COPYRIGHT 2005 DANNY CLIFFORD


Robbie Williams at Live 8, London
COPYRIGHT 2005 DANNY CLIFFORD

Robbie Williams MTV Lisbon, Portugal
Copyright 2005 Danny Clifford













Robbie Williams MTV Lisbon, Portugal
Copyright 2005 Danny Clifford