Monday, August 01, 2005

Back to Tokyo



I arrived at my hotel, the Excel at Shibuya at 4am. I was very glad to get there in one piece.. On the way from Naeba to Tokyo, the driver was swerviing around quite a bit.. Not particulary thrilling on dark winding mountain roads. He was obviously tired. I went down and had a loud word in his ear.. He seemed to stay awake from then on. I got up at about 10.30 and then started the task of getting my laptop repaired. This proved to be a problem and clearly it wasnt going to happen in time for me. I had a gig to shoot tonight as well. I was with the Keiser Chiefs and The Bravery. We were all staying together in the Excel. The gig was at a place called the Shibuya Axe. I shot the keiser Chiefs who were just fantastic..During set、Ricky jumped forward to get into the crowd and fell backwards onto the floor.I was right theree when he did this. It looked to me as he thumped the back of his head on the concrete floor that he knocked himself out for a second or two. His eyes just rolled around for a while. he was helped back onto the stage and he ran off the side of the stage. He came straight back on for the next song.. Great gig, great band. Next up were the Bravery. Another fantastic performance and great band.. I shot loads of backstage stuff with both bands. I was shooting The Bravery after their gig and chatting to Sam and Anthony, the drummer, they were telling me how they had lost the plot the night before at a Karoke bar. I knew about this event, but just couldnt get there as I was travelling back from Fuji Rock at the time. The Kiesers & The Bravery all went together to a Kareoke bar and got it on, so to speak. Anthoney said he got so drunk that he actually didnt remeber getting back to the hotel. He said he was in his room and got undressed and thought he was outside of his room. So, he then opened his door and wnet through. he then realised that he had in fact lefyt his room just with his underpants on. He layed down and fell asleep in the corridor. He was woken by the police who managed to throw him back into his room. Anyway after hearing all of this I headed off to continue my attempt to get images off my defunkt laptop and get then in turn get them sent out. mmmmm.. no joy really. Anyway got some great shots earlier. I headed back to my hotel and met up with the bands.

Shibuya, Tokyo
Copyright 2005 Danny Clifford


We hung out taking photos until I went to bed at about 3.30 am.. Which was fun, because I am getting up at 6.30am for a shoot with The Keiser Chiefs in with a nice typical Tokyo background.