Thursday, June 16, 2005

Motorhead 30 Year Anniversary

Cant beleive it's been 30 years of Motorhead Magic !!! I got to Hammersmith Carling Apollo in reasonably good time. I squeezed into the photo pit.. It wasnt too bad there were only 25 other photographers.. Oh what fun. I find a spot and stay there..

One of the support bands, Saxon were playing.. I slowly had a look around me and as I looked at the crowd, I realised that I was very much in the minority, coming by car that is.. I must say it's not that often that you will see so many, drunk bikers & Hells Angels under one roof.. Looking around, I had that warm feeling of welcome beaming from each and every biker that growled at me for being in their way, such nice boys..

After a very long break between Saxon, Motorhead finally came on stage. By now the heat in the audatorium was really kicking up a rather unpleasant hum of neat biker.... Anyway, being the true pro that I am, I suffered in silence and just go on with it.





Every time I have shot Motorhead in the past, the lighting has been pretty grim.. This time was no exception.. We all finished the three allocated songs and left. As we left, we were stopped by security and told that we could shoot the last part of the show when a lighting rig, shaped like a bomber was lowered over the band and lit up.. Oh how exciting this was to be. Only a few photographers actually were told this.. Not because were are special, just that we were the only photographers they could find.. So, a few of u waited and went back in to shoot the encore, with this bomber.. We were all invited to the aftershow party.. By now there were only a few of us brave soldiers left..

Copyright 2005 Danny Clifford



At the aftershow I bumped into the one and only Ray McVeigh. He is a big buddy of Lemmy. I did a little tour last year with Glen Matlock (ex Sex Pistol's) and his band The Philistines. Ray is in that band.. He tells such great stories. Whe I do ever get round to having some sort of a party, he is on the list. Leave the aftershow.. for yet another late laet night..

Before I go, one more very important event, today and tomorrow. Two of my nephews, Ethan & Russell, who may be named after the photographer who shot the Beatles, Ethan Russell, are graduation from their schools. So big CONGRATULATIONS to them.
Copyright 2005 Simon Clifford