Saturday, June 11, 2005

46664 Arctic Concert Today

Got up got my gear together, met Dave Hogan in the lobby. We had a car waiting for us to take us to The Rica Hotel to prepare for the arrival of Nelson Mandela. Just before I left the hotel, I was called and asked if I could firstly go the the concert venue and take some shots whilst it was still empty. We dropped Dave Hogan at the Rica and went on to the venue. I shot the arena and all that moved. Then a car arrived to pick me up and rush me back to the Rica Hotel. I went straight in and fortunately everything was well arranged, thank you Mr Hogan. He is someone you would like by your side if you go to war.. Anyway, within a minute or so, Nelson Mandela arrived. In he came and the Dave and I both shot Nelson Mandela on his own and hen with all of the performers. There were so many I cant remember them all, but some were, Annie Lennox, Robert Plant, Brian May, Zucchero, Sharon Corr, Peter Gabriel and many more..

We all then moved into another room where the general press were also included. TV News crews, News photographers and journalists. No questions were asked. We took shots for about 1 minute. Then that was it, Nelson Mandela was guided out and away..

I then sat and started editing my photos for the next few hours.. Whilst editing, lots of the performers came over and asked to see the shots. Robert Plant came over we had a chat and he looked at the shots, photo below (copyright Dave Hogan). He seemed to think that one of them would be a nice if he put holly round it and sent it out as his Christmas card..

Robert Plant & I having a look at the images that I had just taken of him.
Photo copyright 2005 Dave Hogan


Then a car arrived and took me, Dave and his assistant Clare, back to our hotel. I needed to collect my studio lights. As well as shooting the show and backstage area and all of the surroundings, I was doing a shoot for a UK Daily broadsheet paper with Annie Lennox sometime later. We then were driven to the venue. The scenery is utterly amazing in Tromso. The people are really wonderful and helpful. We arrived at the venue and immediately started shooting. One act after another were on, with hardly any break in between.... It was non stop. I was then asked to go and take one of the military boats and head back over to the mainland. The concert is being staged on an island.. Off I went and rushed over to get the Navy to get me out to sea. Then I could look back and take some shots. I nearly fell in as well. Would have been very funny, not...



As I got back, I heard Razorlight were on stage. I flew around the front and shot them live. Then did a quick shoot with them backstage. As I did with many of the artists.

I Photographed Nelson Mandela again. I also did the shoot with Annie Lennox, who is so nice.. Annie came off stage and straight round to me at the back of the stage, where I had a little studio type of setup for this shoot. We did some shots there, then we did some outside on the side of the stage at the back. The sun was right behind her and very very bright coming over her shoulder. The mad thing about this is that it was virtually midnight. It was brighter than most middays in the UK. Quite amazing..Anyway Annie is really easy to work with.

I Then continued to shoot the show.. and all backstage oportunities as well. There is loads more for me to put in this diary for this day, but as I write this, it's 4 am. I need to edit more photos and yes it's broad daylight... I will have to put more on this event when I get a second. Maybe on one of the flights home.