Tuesday, December 14, 2004

The Pogues - Glasgow

I arrived in Glasgow for the Pogues 2nd show in the Pogues Reunion Tour.. They asked me not to arrive yesterday at their first gig.. They were all (except Shane) a bit nervous on the opening night. I got to the hotel and it seemed rather deserted. They were all in their rooms.. I decided to just make my own way to the venue.. I called Ross, the tour manager and told him I had arrived and suggested I would see them at the gig. So, off I went and eventually found the venue.. I decided to go and check out the photo pit.. Whilst walking through venue towards the pit, I realised that there were rather a lot of very drunk and happy people on the crowd.. Lots of Celtic Football Club shirts.. So, I get into the pit and check out the lighting rig..ummm.... not many lights up there.. I then turned round and looked back at the crowd.. Shock horror.. as I looked back I suddenly had top dodge my first full pint of lager hurtling towards me.. I managed to move and it hit the stage.. I then realised I was going to need my waterproofs.. Shane did warn me about this.. I reached into the back of my camera bag and pulled out a very lightweight waterproof jacket.. So, on it went... A short while later on came Shane MacGowan and the Pogues.. No sooner than they had stepped onto the stage, the flying beer started hurtling at the stage. Well they loved them. Clearly, that was the crowds way of of showing their appreciation.. Strange but true..


So, I shot the show. Sadly the lighting was, as I had anticipated, bloody awful. Such is life.. I made my way back to the hotel and waited for Shane to arrive.. After quite a while he showed up and had two of three bottles in each of his jacket pocket. he was also holding a pint of what I assume was gin or vodka or something similar.. We had a chat for a little while and he said he was off to his room.. I then headed off to my room and started to edit up my images..