Thursday, June 24, 2010

Hitler's Eagles Nest

I drove back down to Berchtesgarden on the Austrian border. I bought a ticket at the documentation office and then caught one of the special coaches up the mountain. That is the only way to get there.
The Eagles Nest Entrance
Copyright 2010 Danny Clifford















Once you get most of the way up, you have to walk through some giant metal gates and walk a few hundred yards (Meters) through a tunnel to a small room where Adolf Hitler's elevator is.














I then entered the lift with a lot of other people and then the doors shut and then the lift operator took us and the lift up to The Eagles Nest or Kehlstien as it is also known.
Copyright 2010 Danny Clifford













There was a very strange smell once I entered the house at after leaving the elevator. The view was stunning, but the fact that Hitler and other nasty Nazi's had used this place as a kind of playground was really odd.
Copyright 2010 Danny Clifford














Inside The Eagles Nest were many areas where Hitler had spent time relaxing etc. One room called the Octagon room had a fireplace against the wall. This was given to Hitler as a gift by the Italian dictator, Mussolini.
Copyright 2010 Danny Clifford















One of the rooms that ran off the side of the Octagon room, was Eva Braun's room. This had very old lights on the wall. The lights were there in the photos in the guide books. Here is a shot of them today. Again it is weird to think that they had all occupied this building and I was wandering around and standing on the same actual spot that one of the most evil people in the history of the world had stood.
Copyright 2010 Danny Clifford.













After leaving the Eagles Nest I headed down the elevator, then caught one of the special coaches down the rest of the mountain to the car park. Then I got my car and headed off back to Munich. Just as I got on the road out of Berchesgarden, I saw this church. The sky looked rather nice and blue so I stopped and took a quick shot.
Copyright 2010 Danny Clifford