Thursday, March 25, 2010

Noel Gallagher Teenage Cancer Trust

This was Noel's first of two gigs for Teenage Cancer Trust. The next one is tomorrow night. It is also the first gig since he and Oasis spilt up. I arrived at The Royal Albert Hall at around lunch time and we set up the studio again. It wasn't long before we were shooting the support act, The Courteeners. So, I shot the sound check and then did some shots for the charity downstairs with some of the patients that have come for the day. Al little later, the Courteeners were ready to go on stage and we got them in for the studio shoot. They are a really nice bunch of lads and so is Glyn their tour manager. I have photographed them before, however, they are a brilliant band and now seem to be firmly on the way up and on to stardom. So, we finished the studio shoot and I rushed out with them and shot the live show, partly from the front in the pit and partly from the stage. I wanted to get some shots of them with the Albert Hall behind them with the crowd. I rushed back to my studio just in time as Noel was ready for his shoot. In he came, really nice to see him. I hadn't seem him since I was in Japan with Oasis in 2005. We had a brief chat about that and he said "fucking hell, that was five years ago, I cant remember 5 weeks" He was in very good spirits. We did the shoot and it was followed by a quick video interview by the charity. Then once that was finished, Noel headed off to his dressing room and got ready for his show. A few mins later, Yui Mok, Matt Kent, Jill Furmanovsky and I were led down to the photo pit to shoot Noel on stage. That was all good, lighting was pretty good the only strange thing this year is that us photographers are having share the photo pit with a video camera on tracks. That is normal, but this year it is remote. Which is mental. I have to keep on eye on Noel and the other on the remote camera swinging along the track towards me. So far no collisions.. But 5 more nights, so we will see...