Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Teenage Cancer Trust Day Two

The Royal Albert hall tonight and its Teenage Cancer Trust's second night. The headline act is old folk rockers Fairport Convention. I have never seem them before and funnily enough, didn't tonight either. So, I got to the Albert Hall at about 7:15 then, a few minutes later us photographers were led into the arena to shoot the support act. The first artist was Eliza Carthy. She was pretty good, very folky and had a personality too. Then there seemed to be quite a long gap and then on late, came DJ Mike Harding and introduced a singer songwriter called Reg Muerose. I had never heard of him. He performed a few songs and also was pretty good. By now all of us photographers were getting pins and needles. We had to crouch down and keep out of the way of the paying punters behind us, who were getting quite rude and abusive.. Bloody heathens!! Not all of them, just the wanker and his friend behind me who didn't stop complaining and to be honest,needed a quick short sharp thump. Naturally, I am a gentleman and a true pro, so, I wouldn't possibly be the one to do such a thing.. So, after pins and needles Had truly taken hold, I was remembering a friend of mine who years ago was at a dinner and dance kind of charity event and had his legs crossed. When he stood up in front of the whole room, he couldn't feel his leg and fell straight over.. Everyone rushed over and picked him up and he went straight over again. I was now thanking this could be me in a few mins and it would be just my luck and quite funny if for the second year in a row at the Teenage Cancer Trust, I would fall over in front of the stage. Luckily this didn't happen... Finally on came the third support act. Her name was Kate Rusby and so she said she was from Barnsly, Yorkshire. She was pretty good as well. All quite impressive. So, us photographers did our bit and then stood up and left the pit and headed back out to the Lanson bar to wait until the main act was due to come on. Once we were waiting a while we were informed that the show was running very late. The main act, Fairport Convention were now due to be on at about 10:30. They were due to originally be on at 9:45. I now couldn't wait. So, I left before the main act came on. I had to get to Highgate, the Boogaloo to be precise to photograph ex mayor of London Ken Livingstone. There was some kind of Debate going on there. Ken Livingstone was joined on stage with Polly Styrene (of X-Ray Specs) and Laura Manuel of Reverend and the Makers. I only got there towards the end and photographed them. Mind you, I got there in time to hear someone ask the panel what there view was on drug legalisation. Ken Livingstone replied with "There is nothing wrong with Heroin in its pure form, Queen Victoria took it every night" I thought that was a pretty stupid thing to say. Imagine saying that to children. Heroin in its purest form is safe.. What a tosser.. We all know that in it pure form its safe, they use it every day in hospitals around the world. But the question wasn't a medical one, it was about legalising drugs.. He is a weirdo.. No doubt he will wriggle out of that and try and deny it. Funnily enough it was recorded by BBC Radio and filmed by Channel 4 TV. Get out of that then Ken!!